Welder Causes Fire At Tamale Central Market

Some of the gutted shops

Some properties were destroyed when fire broke out at the Tamale Central market in the Northern Region.

The fire, which was reportedly caused by a welder in the market, spread to two stores, burning most of the items in them.

Opoku Aikins, the Northern Regional Fire Service PRO who spoke to DAILY GUIDE, said but for the timely response of fire fighters, the blaze would have spread to most parts of the market.

According to the PRO, some of the welding sparks fell into the affected store, causing the fire outbreak.

He therefore appealed to the general public to be cautious, especially as the region is entering the dry season.

“During the dry season, fire outbreaks are common due largely to the low moisture content in the atmosphere,” he observed.

Some market women who spoke to DAILY GUIDE said the fire was caused by a welder close to some shops.

They said whiles the welder was working they saw that some smoke was coming out of a nearby shop and before long, the shop had been gutted.

They commended the fire fighters for their timely intervention.


FROM Eric Kombat, Tamale