Wassa Chinese Killer Caged

Jan Gi Hi

The 49-year-old Chinese who allegedly shot and killed a Ghanaian at Wassa Akropong in the Wassa Amenfi East District of the Western Region, was hauled before a Takoradi District Magistrate Court yesterday for murder.

The facts of the case were not read and the plea of the suspect, Jan Gi Hi, was also not taken. He was remanded into police custody by the court, presided over by Thomas Ofidie, to reappear before it on October 26, 2017.

This was after the prosecutor, Inspector Bernard Paa Ahinsan, had prayed the court to remand the suspect into custody to allow the police some time to further investigate the case.

Jan Gi Hi, allegedly shot and killed Nana Buah, a resident of Wassa Akrpong, who had accompanied a plumber friend to collect money from the Chinese who engaged him (plumber) to do some work for him (Chinese).

DAILY GUIDE learnt that the foreigner was supposed to pay the (Ghanaian) plumber an amount of GH¢150.00 for the services rendered but the Chinese allegedly refused to pay the money, which resulted in a confrontation.

Eyewitnesses asserted that during the exchanges, which occurred near a popular filling station at Wassa Akropong, the Chinese pulled a gun and fired at Nana Buah, killing him on the spot.

DAILY GUIDE gathered that when the youth got wind of the incident they became furious and went on rampage.

“The situation was really serious because the Chinese are many here and they live differently; and since the youth were determined to revenge the death of their colleague, one could see vehicles and other properties belonging to the Chinese set ablaze,” a resident indicated.

The news of the death of 29-year-old Nana Buah also known as Scorpy, which spread throughout the Wassa Akropong area at about 5:30 pm on Friday, incensed the youth to visit their anger on the Chinese in the area.

Various assets, including a casino and hotels being operated by the foreigners, particularly at a place called Shangai City, were said to have been vandalized by the youth who were protesting the death of Nana Buah.

“About 14 cars belonging to the Chinese were burnt. Hotels and casinos operated by them have been vandalized, whilst many other properties have been looted,” a source told DAILY GUIDE.

It took the intervention of a joint police and military team deployed to the area, as well as the paramount chief of the Wassa Amenfi Traditional Area, Tetrete Okuamoah Sekyim II and the District Chief Executive for the area, Helena Appiah, to restore calm.

The Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Western Regional Police Command, ASP Olivia Ewurabena Adiku, confirmed the shooting incident to DAILY GUIDE, adding that the police moved to the filling station but did not see the victim nor the Chinese suspect.

“The youth destroyed properties, burnt six vehicles and vandalized five other vehicles. The Omanhene of the area and some council of elders accompanied the police to the Wassa Akropong Government Hospital and saw a male deceased, Nana Buah, aged 29, in the morgue pending autopsy,” ASP Adiku said.

“There was a team of officers who were deployed to the town Friday night to control the situation. The Western Regional Police Commander, DCOP Kwesi Duku, and a team of other security personnel also visited the town to assess the security situation,” she indicated.

 From Emmanuel Opoku, Takoradi